Vision and Mission
Taos Education and Career Center @ UNM-Taos is dedicated to providing adults and out-of-school youth with education needed to transform their lives. We teach the essential academic, professionalism, and critical thinking skills leading to success in college, careers, and daily life. Our students develop a sense of confidence, well-being, and dignity.
TECC provides free programming in the areas of high school equivalency (HSE) preparation, English as a second language (ESL), career development, and basic literacy and life skills. We serve individuals with or without high school diplomas who are at least 16 years of age and whose academic skills are not yet college-ready.
- Discover and prepare for a career that is meaningful and financially supportive.
- Obtain a High School Equivalency (GED® or HiSET) and prepare for the college entrance exam(ACT Compass®) via College and Career Readiness Classes (CCRS).
- Communicate fluently in English.
- Develop skills to succeed in the workplace, such as technology, workplace communications, and leadership skills.
- Gain Life Skills to be successful and healthy at school, work, and home.
These academic programs are free of charge. Classes are offered during the days and evening, or via our Distance Education Program. We also have a computer lab for independent work and the help of volunteer tutors to provide one-on-one instruction.